Spanish ab initio
Spanish ab initio is a course for students with no previous formal experience of learning Spanish. It will enable them to communicate with people from a new culture and make the most of any time they spend in Spain and Latin America.
The course covers the following topics:
- Course Overview
- Hola amigos
- El colegio
- Comida y salud
- Tiempo libre en familia
- Mini Project – ‘Repaso’
- La cultura hispana
- Vacaciones y Ecoturismo
- Les medios de comunicación
- Estudios y exámenes
- Mis amigos y mi ciudad
- Ingenio humano
- Contigo pan y cebolla
- Celebraciones y emergencias
- Arte y entretenimiento
- Trabajo y ocio
- Yo y mi entorno
What is different in taking Spanish ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of the Hispanic world
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
Activities include live online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos as well as exciting, hand-writing practice and interactive tasks. The emphasis is on learning actively together. Of course, there will be some traditional activities such as essay writing and oral practice to prepare you for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria. The IB assessment consists of two parts: external assessment and internal assessment. The external assessment assesses students’ productive and receptive skills, namely, writing, listening comprehension and reading comprehension. The internal assessment is a conversation with the course teacher based on a visual stimulus and at least on additional course theme.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Spanish ab initio, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Spanish ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a Spanish-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of Hispanic world
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.