Spanish ab initio
Spanish ab initio is a course for students with no previous formal experience of learning Spanish. It will enable them to communicate with people from a new culture and make the most of any time they spend in Spain and Latin America.
The course covers the following topics:
- Course Overview
- Hola amigos
- El colegio
- Comida y salud
- Tiempo libre en familia
- Mini Project – ‘Repaso’
- La cultura hispana
- Vacaciones y Ecoturismo
- Les medios de comunicación
- Estudios y exámenes
- Mis amigos y mi ciudad
- Ingenio humano
- Contigo pan y cebolla
- Celebraciones y emergencias
- Arte y entretenimiento
- Trabajo y ocio
- Yo y mi entorno
What is different in taking Spanish ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of the Hispanic world
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
Spanish ab initio students may be involved in many different forms of communication and exposed to a wide variety of texts. They will be encouraged to get involved in class discussions about written texts, informal conversations, everyday scenarios and emails. Students are expected to develop accuracy and fluency in expression and control over vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and intonation.
A range of texts are accessed in the course. Language skills are not developed in isolation but through the use of a wide range of contemporary materials such as web pages, advertisements, newspaper and magazine articles, catalogues, forms, instructions, and much more.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Spanish ab initio, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Spanish ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a Spanish-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of Hispanic world
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.