Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL
Mathematics SL Analysis and Approaches is a course designed for students who wish to study a good level of mathematics, but not at a higher level. It will appeal to students who are interested in exploring real and abstract applications of mathematical concepts. They will enjoy problem solving and generalisation. This course is suitable for students who may go on to further study in subjects that have a mathematical background, for example economics, geography and chemistry.
What is different in taking Mathematics SL Analysis and Approaches online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- develop their organisational skills
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Material covered through the course
The five areas below are covered during the SL courses. There is a core set of topics for each area.
- Number and Algebra
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Probability and Statistics
The course contains investigative and inquiry-based learning, supporting students in their internally assessed exploration task.
There is some content that is common with the Mathematics SL Applications and Interpretations course but the Mathematics SL Analysis and Approaches has a greater emphasis on calculus, and theoretical approaches.
Activities and assessment
Teacher and students have regular weekly opportunities to assess progress and attainment. Some activities assess student achievement against formal criteria, such as worksheets, problem sets or quizzes. Learning is also supported with discussion forums, email, and regular live lessons in the online classroom.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed, it is recommended students set aside five to six hours a week.
A Graphical Display calculator is required for this course. Pamoja recommends the following two calculators:
Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE
Texas Instruments TI-Nspire (a non CAS version)
Benefits to students
Taking Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL online will enable students to:
- be supported by highly experienced IB teachers
- develop independence in learning and time-management
- develop their ability to work in a connected world
- become experienced in a wide range of online learning tools
- better cope with online learning demands in higher education
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.