French ab initio
French ab initio is recommended for students who have little or no experience of learning French. Our online course is designed to be challenging, engaging and a positive educational experience for each student. Taking French ab initio online will enable students to develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills; learn with students and teachers from around the world; and function successfully in a French-speaking environment.
The course covers the following topics:
- Aperçu du cours
- Ma famille et moi
- Apparence et caractère
- Amitiés et relations personnelles
- La vie quotidienne et l’école
- Le monde culinaire
- Ma ville et mon quartier
- Le shopping
- Les vacances et les voyages
- Révision et l’examen de fin d’année
- Les célébrations et les traditions
- Les loisirs et le sport
- La santé
- Les études et le travail
- La technologie
- Comment faire un bon oral ?
- Les médias et le divertissement
- Préparation aux épreuves 1 et 2
- Les problèmes de l’environnement
- Les questions mondiales
- Révision et entraînement à l’examen
What is different in taking French ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
French ab initio students may be involved in many different forms of communication and exposed to a wide variety of texts. They will be encouraged to get involved in class discussions about written texts, informal conversations, everyday scenarios and emails. Students are expected to develop accuracy and fluency in expression and control over vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and intonation.
A range of texts are accessed in the course. Language skills are not developed in isolation but through the use of a wide range of contemporary materials such as web pages, advertisements, newspaper and magazine articles, catalogues, forms, instructions, and much more.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in French ab initio SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking French ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a French-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of French-speaking communities
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel.
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.