English A Language and Literature SL
In this course, students study texts from a broad range of literary and non-literary texts. Students investigate the nature of language and how it affects communications, reflects experience and shapes the world. English Language and Literature is available as an HL and an SL course, following the same core units and texts.
What is different in taking English Language and Literature online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- develop their organisational skills
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Themes covered through the course
The core themes of the class will allow students to explore different writers, different places, and different types of texts, as well as the relationship between texts.
Activities and assessment
Some activities assess student achievement against formal criteria, such as essays, content production and reflections.
Learning is also supported with discussion forums, journals, email, and live lessons in the online classroom. These are assessed against Pamoja criteria that allow students to monitor the quality of their interaction and engagement with the course.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed, it is recommended students set aside five to six hours a week for the SL course.
To begin your course please purchase the coursebooks listed below. Please note, coursebooks are not included in the course fee.
- Philip K Dick (2010), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Gollancz: London, ISBN-13: 978-0-575-09418-5
- Carol Ann Duffy (2010), The World’s Wife, Picador, ISBN-13: 978-0330372220
- Edmund Rostand (1991), Cyrano de Bergerac (*translation by Antony Burgess), Nick Hern Books, ISBN-13: 978-1854591173
- F Scott Fitzgerald (1991), The Great Gatsby, NEW LONGMAN LITERATURE 14-18, ISBN-13: 978-0582060234
Benefits to students
Taking English Language and Literature SL online will enable students to:
- be supported by highly experienced IB teachers
- develop independence in learning and time-management
- develop their ability to work in a connected world
- become experienced in a wide range of online learning tools
- better cope with online learning demands in higher education