Part of the IB subject group 3, Individuals and Societies, Philosophy SL is a course that tackles questions important to humanity. For example, what is it to be a human being and how do I know what is the right thing to do?
Students learn how to think systematically, analyse arguments, and study philosophical themes. They also look at problems facing contemporary society, including those resulting from increased international interaction.
What is different in taking Philosophy SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- study alongside students from around the world
- exchange ideas with people from very different philosophical backgrounds
- access source material in a variety of media
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Themes covered through the course
IB Philosophy SL covers major philosophical themes such as moral values, relativism, utilitarianism as well as major philosophical thinkers such as Plato, Socrates, Hegel and Iris Murdoch.
Students look at questions such as: are human beings special? Are we free and are human beings naturally selfish?
Activities and assessment
Activities include watching videos, reading notes, independent research, listening to podcasts by leading philosophers, writing personal reflections, essay writing, analysing and evaluating texts, external websites, or online discussions with classmates.
Students take quizzes and carry out activities for authentic examination preparation.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Philosophy SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Philosophy SL online will enable students to:
- sharpen their intellectual skills
- develop perspectives that encompass cultural pluralism and an awareness of the international context within which it unfolds
- develop intercultural understanding which is sought by the world’s top universities
- develop 21st century skills like time management, communication and digital literacy which are much in demand by employers
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
What are our students saying about online IB DP courses?
We asked or current and former students what they enjoyed most about their online IB Diploma Programme course experience with Pamoja Education, here’s what they had to say!