Mandarin ab initio
Part of the IB Diploma Programme subject group 2, Language Acquisition, Mandarin ab initio is an innovative course for students with no previous formal experience of learning Mandarin. It will enable them to communicate with people from a new culture and make a success of their time spent in a part of the world where Mandarin is commonly spoken.
What is different in taking Mandarin ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Themes covered through the course
Themes covered include introductions, shopping, daily life, food, education, home, people, China and the world, holidays, emergencies, special events, work, environment, media and Theory of Knowledge.
Activities and assessment
Activities include live online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos, as well as exciting, hand-writing practice and interactive tasks. The emphasis is on learning actively together. Of course, there will be some traditional activities such as essay writing and oral practice to prepare you for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Mandarin ab initio SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Mandarin ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a Mandarin-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of Mandarin-speaking communities
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel.
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
What are our students saying about online IB DP courses?
We asked or current and former students what they enjoyed most about their online IB Diploma Programme course experience with Pamoja Education, here’s what they had to say!