Spanish B SL
Part of the IB Diploma Programme subject group 2, Language Acquisition, Spanish B SL is a course designed for students with some previous experience of the language. This usually means having completed the Spanish ab initio course or having studied the language for a minimum of 120 hours. The focus of the course is on improving language acquisition and skills through authentic materials such as magazine articles, films and podcasts.
The course covers the following topics:
- Courses Overview
- Oportunidades de educación
- La ecología en manos de todos
- Los media de comunicación
- El impacto de la inmigración
- La importancia de las tradiciones
- Problemas ambientales
- La realidad de la inmigración
- Cultura y medios de comunicación
- Infancias robadas
- Arte hispano
- El estrés y el deporte
- La vendimia en países hispanos
- Creencias y tradiciones culturales
- Proyectos de acción social
- La ciudad de la Habana
- Preparación y revisión
What is different in taking Spanish B SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access authentic materials in a variety of media
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
- take part in a course designed by some of the best IB Spanish teachers in the world
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
The emphasis is on learning actively together. Activities include live and asynchronous online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos and interactive exercises. The course also provides more traditional activities such as reading comprehension, essay writing and oral practice to prepare students for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Spanish B SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Spanish B SL online will enable students to:
- take part on a course designed by some of the best IB Spanish teachers in the world
- be supported by highly experienced IB teachers
- communicate clearly, effectively and fluently in Spanish
- understand and appreciate different perspectives of people from Spain and Latin America.
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel in an increasingly important part of the world
- be creatively and intellectually stimulated
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
How does it work?
Watch our video to find out how IB Diploma Programme students use the Pamoja Taught learning platform on a day-to-day basis throughout the duration of their two-year courses.
Find out more
Cambridge International A Level
Find out more
Find out more
Oxford Business Park North
Alec Issigonis Way