Part of the IB subject group 3 individuals and societies, Psychology is the systematic study of behaviour and mental processes. Psychology has a variety of research designs and applications, and provides a unique approach to understanding modern society.
What is different in taking Psychology SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access source material in a variety of media
- learn, practise and review much more at their own pace than in a traditional classroom
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Topics covered through the course
The core of the Psychology course comprises the study of the biological level of analysis, the cognitive level of analysis and the sociocultural level of analysis.
There is also an investigation of research methodology and students will study the Abnormal Psychology option.
Activities and assessment
A typical week in IB Psychology would involve a reading assignment and an activity that requires students to engage with the content of the course, for example a discussion forum, a blog post or a worksheet. Students will generally undertake one to two wiki assignments, which are collaborative tasks that the whole class works on. Once a semester students will complete a group project. Lastly students will be assigned IB style assessment tasks once they have mastered the course content of each of the units of study. The Internal Assessment that is assigned involves conducting a psychological experiment and writing a report.
There are two types of assessment in IB Psychology. Formative assessment focuses on student engagement and involvement in the course activities such as the discussion forums and wikis, blog posts and worksheets. These activities are designed to consolidate student understanding of course content.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Psychology SL, we recommend students set aside four to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Psychology SL online will enable students to:
- access a rich source of information about factors that influence human behaviour
- develop their understanding of people in general and themselves in particular
- acquire effective work habits to regulate their own learning
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
How does it work?
Watch our video to find out how IB Diploma Programme students use the Pamoja Taught learning platform on a day-to-day basis throughout the duration of their two-year courses.
Find out more
International AS and A Level
Find out more
Find out more
Oxford Business Park North
Alec Issigonis Way