Information Technology in a Global Society SL
Information Technology in a Global Society looks at technological innovations and their social and ethical impact on the world today. Taking ITGS SL online will enable students to develop in-depth understanding of the trends of Information Technology; learn to write analytically with a global perspective in mind; and become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools.
The course covers the following topics:
- Course Overview
- Introduction to ITGS
- Hardware and Software
- Business and Employment
- Revision and Semester Test
- Modelling and Simulations
- IA & Project Management
- Multimedia & Digital Media (1)
- End of Year Revision
- Multimedia & Digital Media (2)
- Personal and Public Communication
- Home and Leisure
- Politics and Government
- Environment – Part 1
- IA First Full Draft
- Environment – Part 2
- Semester Exam
- Education and Training – Part 1
- Trial Exam
- Education and Training – Part 2
- Course Review
What is different in taking ITGS SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- develop an authentic experience with the IT that is discussed and evaluated
- access source material in a variety of media
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
- study alongside students from around the world
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
Students will engage the course content in a variety of ways including in-depth research, group work and weekly discussions focused on essential questions. They will also work on the production of a real world project for an authentic client.
Students are assessed on variety of formats that range from simple statements to in-depth and complex essay writing. Assessment is fully in line with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in ITGS SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking ITGS SL online will enable students to:
- develop in-depth understanding of the trends of Information Technology
- learn to write analytically with a global perspective in mind
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
- develop 21st century skills like time management, communication and digital literacy which are much in demand by employers