Part of the IB subject group 5, Mathematics SL is a course for students with a good background in mathematics and strong analytical and technical skills.
Some students will be expecting to include mathematics in their university studies, either as a subject in its own right or within courses such as physics, engineering and technology.
The course is also for students who have a strong interest in mathematics and enjoy meeting its challenges.
What is different in taking Mathematics SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
- develop their organisational skills
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Topics covered through the course
The core topics of the class are algebra, functions and equations, trigonometry, calculus, vectors, probability and statistics.
Activities and assessment
Some activities assess student achievement against IB criteria. These include problem sets, self-assessed quizzes, teacher-assessed tests, investigations, modelling activities and exams.
Learning is also supported with discussion forums, journals, email, and weekly live lessons in the online classroom. These are assessed against Pamoja criteria that allow students to monitor the quality of their interaction and engagement with the course.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Mathematics SL online will enable students to:
- take a course written by some of the best IB mathematics teachers in the world
- be supported by highly experienced IB teachers
- develop independence in learning and time-management
- develop their ability to work in a connected world
- become experienced in a wide range of online learning tools
- better cope with higher education where more and more courses are online
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
How does it work?
Watch our video to find out how IB Diploma Programme students use the Pamoja Taught learning platform on a day-to-day basis throughout the duration of their two-year courses.