Cambridge International AS and A Level Business (9609)
This course develops students’ understanding of the nature of business and its role in society. Students cover economic, ethical, legal and technological issues, and examine the management of organisations and the process of decision-making.
The course covers the following topics:
- Business and its environment
- People in organisations
- Operations and project management
- Finance and accounting
- Strategic management
In each year there is also time for revision and trial examinations.
Activities and assessments
The course includes the following activities: readings and case studies on real business situations, quizzes, self-assessments and marked written assignments. Teachers will review and grade assignments during the course. There are also unit discussions to support students with each topic.
The final examination consists of three externally-assessed papers:
- Paper 1—1 hour 15 minutes, 40% AS/20% AL, short-answer questions and one essay
- Paper 2—1 hour 30 minutes, 60% AS/30% AL, data response questions
- Paper 3—3 hours, 50% AL, questions and essay based on a case study
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in International AS and A Level Business, we recommend students set aside ten to fifteen hours a week to study. It is important that students regularly keep up with the readings and the course activities in a timely manner. And that they contact their Pamoja teacher if they fall behind or need help with assignments.
Minimum entry requirements
To successfully study Cambridge International AS and A Level with us, students need to have attained:
- a grade C (or grade 4) and above in IGCSE English and Mathematics (or the equivalent in an internationally recognised qualification).
- a grade C (or grade 4) and above in Business Studies, if studied at IGCSE. No previous knowledge of Business is required, but an interest in how businesses operate and willingness to follow current affairs is essential.
It is the school’s responsibility to ensure that the student has met these minimum entry requirements. Pamoja Taught courses and Pamoja teachers assume that these minimum entry requirements have been met and the student therefore has the necessary foundational knowledge and ability to work at the pace required by the course.
Benefits for students
Taking International AS and A Level Business will enable students to:
develop their understanding of the nature of business
encounter a range of contexts and situations through case studies
become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
develop skills like time management, communication and digital literacy
Find out more
International AS and A Level
Find out more
Find out more