French ab initio
Part of the IB Diploma Programme subject group 2, Language Acquisition, French ab initio is recommended for students who have little or no experience of learning French. Our online course is designed to be challenging, engaging and a positive educational experience for each student.
What is different in taking French ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practise easily
- practise essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Themes covered through the course
The French ab initio course aims to develop receptive, productive and interactive skills to a high level of communicative competence. Our course provides a solid grammar and vocabulary framework and is organised into three themes (individual and society; leisure and work; urban and rural environment) made up of a series of 20 topics.
Through the study of these themes, the students are able to practise grammatical structures and vocabulary and explore the language whilst developing intercultural understanding. By developing the range of receptive, productive and interactive skills, the students become able to communicate and interact in a range of everyday situations. These skills equip the student with the necessary skills to achieve the assessment objectives of the French ab initio course.
Activities and assessment
French ab initio students may be involved in many different forms of communication and exposed to a wide variety of texts. They will be encouraged to get involved in class discussions about written texts, informal conversations, everyday scenarios and emails. Students are expected to develop accuracy and fluency in expression and control over vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and intonation.
A range of texts are accessed in the course. Language skills are not developed in isolation but through the use of a wide range of contemporary materials such as web pages, advertisements, newspaper and magazine articles, catalogues, forms, instructions, and much more.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in French ab initio SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking French ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a French-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of French-speaking communities
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel.
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
What are our students saying about online IB DP courses?
We asked or current and former students what they enjoyed most about their online IB Diploma Programme course experience with Pamoja Education, here’s what they had to say!