Part of the IB subject group 3 individuals and societies, Economics HL is the study of economic theory and its applications in the world today. Students interpret economic data and statistics, apply relevant theory, and demonstrate this knowledge using written prose, diagrams and economic terminology.
The course covers the following topics:
- Course Overview
- Competitive Markets
- Government Intervention
- Internal Assessment
- Costs and Revenues
- Market Structures
- The National Economy
- Employment and Inflation
- Income Distribution and Equity
- Year One Revisited
- Income Distribution and Macro Policies
- Free Trade Vs. Protectionism
- Exchange Rates
- Balance of Payments
- Terms of Trade and Commentary III
- Measure of Economic Development (TE)
- Barriers to Economic Development
- Aid, Debt and Economic Development
- Exam Revision
What is different in taking Economics HL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access source material in a variety of media
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers and fellow students
Some things won’t be different though. Standards and expectations will be just as high as in a face to face classroom.
Activities and assessment
The emphasis is on learning actively together and activities include live online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos and interactive exercises. Throughout the Economics HL course, students engage in online discussions, debates, article analysis, blogs and wiki activities and group research projects.
Students are assessed through the use of quizzes and tests. We also provide traditional activities such as essay writing to prepare them for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Economics HL, we recommend students set aside seven to ten hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Economics SL online will enable students to:
- learn real world applications of economic theory
- understand how macro- and micro-economies work
- meet and study with students and teachers from around the world.
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
- develop 21st century skills like time management, communication and digital literacy which are much in demand by employers
Request further information
Talk to your school's IB DP Coordinator
Register your students
How does it work?
Watch our video to find out how IB Diploma Programme students use the Pamoja Taught learning platform on a day-to-day basis throughout the duration of their two-year courses.
Find out more
Cambridge International A Level
Find out more
Find out more
Oxford Business Park North
Alec Issigonis Way