Working on a group project with your classmates at Pamoja is challenging. In this post, the characteristics of effective groups will be identified and some tips given about how to work as a group in an online environment.
Characteristics of Effective Groups
- The atmosphere tends to be informal, comfortable, and relaxed
- During discussions everyone participates, and the discussion remains relevant to the task of the group
- The task or objective is well understood and accepted by all group members
- The members listen to each other. Every idea is given a fair hearing
- Criticism and questioning are frequent, frank, and constructive. There is little evidence of personal attack
- Each member accepts responsibility for whatever specific tasks has been assigned
Tips of for Online Groups
- As group members operate in different time zones, everyone needs to check the group discussion forum each day
- Your first priority is to break down the assignment into individual tasks. Make sure they are manageable and require the same amount of work
- Volunteer to complete a task but do not wait for everyone in the group to agree to this. Start work and if someone else wanted to do that task then work as a small team to complete it
- Allow time for the whole group to review and refine the finished product once all the individual members have contributed their part. Criticism should be frank and constructive
Sign up to our monthly newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest Pamoja news.